Saturday, July 16, 2016
An open invitation to participate
Thoughts:
1 - If we go too negative we run the risk of sounding like every other politician and unfortunately this will turn off the younger voters. We need to build hope and support and talk to the younger generation about how things will be better if we work together. - hot topics - Equality for All, Affordable Education, Livable wages, Protecting/preserving the environment.
2- We need to embrace and listen to the minority communities LBGT, Blacks, Latinos, Seniors, women. They don't need to spoken at, they need to be listened to and they need to understand that we are listening and want to be part of the solution. What are their issues? What are their life experiences? How do we turn frustration and anger into passion and focus? As a white male I can never understand what their lives have been like, but I want to know, I care, and I want to support them through my word, actions, and deeds.
3 - LGBT - Making some inroads here. I think most who know Dennis dislike him and his politics and even if they don't we can tie Dennis to the RNC Platform of pealing back the progress we've made. We have Stacy tying us in to Pulse-Lakeland who has offered us a meet and greet. Key issues, Equality for all and legal protections against discrimination in the workplace, health coverage, and in the pursuit of happiness. Did you know that many Trans people are excluded from the health plans of their employers and the expenses after the transition are incredibly expensive. Need to get Chris Hobbs involved.
4 - Latin Community - Ken mentioned Maria of Simply Dance is a big influence in the local Latin Community. Need to meet her and discover the issues for that community. I am assuming immigration and wages are probably hot topics but I do not know this community well enough to speak on their behalf. Ken, can we get an introduction?
5 - Black Community - Their is currently a state poof wear going on against the young, black male. The judicial systems lead to a cycle of imprisonment and impoverishment. They are the targets of racial profiling, general suspicion, and often are the focus of police brutality and murder by our own law enforcement officers. Most of the black community has to lose their identity to fit into and succeed in the "professional" workforce. This strips them of their identity and self-esteem. We need to build bridges to mutual respect and understanding. Tanya is willing to speak out and speak to the local community but she is older and a transplant in the area. We need to know who the movers and shakers are and we need to find voices in the young black community.
6- I would not get drawn into gun-control as it will be an instant turn off to many Polk county voters. If confronted admit we have a violence problem and suggest that there is a lot off room between no guns and guns for all. Together we can find reasonable solutions while protecting the lives and rights of those on both sides of the issue.
7 - Social Media - I'd cover my page and Twitter account with testimonials and offer some feedback on them. I understand trying not to quiet the voice of the "independent citizen" but when we recognize, share, and validate the voices of our supporters, they speak louder and stronger while also encouraging other supporters to do the same. BTW, a repost once ion a while is great, I would not post every blog and video I've been putting out there. Letters to the editor, yes. the videos on LGBT equality, Equal Pay for Equal Work, and Medical Marijauna have gotten the most traffic so these may be area where we can speak a little louder.
8 - Funding - Andy, Gus and each of us. We need to build enough presence and apply enough pressure that the democratic party sees this as a winnable election and is willing to help support Jim financially. If we know people either who are willing to be contributors or people who are recognized members of the local Democratic party who can apply pressure, every little but helps. In the AMrch filing which is the last set I can find, Dennis had a $600,000 war chest compared to Jim's roughly $13,000. We're never going to outspend Dennis nor should we try but a little bit in the way of support can go a long way.
9 - Tape short iPhone videos on single issue topics and post on all social platforms. I am now getting about 1000 views a week and am starting to build followers and retweets/reposts. Please share blog posts, videos, and letters to the editor with your friends and contacts. Tanya said she would post a few short videos addressing the black, the senior, and the women's markets. Not skiing anyone to go crazy like me, but an occasional video, preferably shot in landscape mode, can top a long way to showing the diversity and the passion of Jim's supporters.
10 - July 29 Meet and Greet. Right now I think we can count on 40-50 guests. Ken and Tanya would like to see us set a goal of at least 100. Please tell your friends and contacts about this opportunity to help shape the course of the future. You can invite 500 people from the Facebook event page, so please share if often and as widely as you can. i will be creating a printable pdf in the next few days, so anyone can download and distribute it.
11- Jim is going to be attending the August first friday event. Let's see if we can mobilize support and supporters to make sure Jim and the community know where we stand in this election.
12 - Seniors. do not forget seniors. they are a very powerful voting block and things like Social security, Medicare, the cost of assisted living, and estate taxes are big concerns. Tanya/Ken can you help see if you can put together a meet and greet and make sure this population is represented at the July 29 Meet and Greet and August's first Friday?
I'd like to thank each of you individually for all of your passion, effort, and enthusiasm. We can finally create a representative government by, for, and of the People and this is where we start.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I think a real heavy message should center around...'Change the Washington status quo'....put Congress back to work again...it's time for new faces......and a working representative !
ReplyDeleteThank you.
ReplyDelete